Beyond the bright lights and delights of New York City, the whole of New York State offers a variety of uniquely romantic possibilities to propose marriage to your partner.
Take your proposal to new heights, on or near one of the high peaks of The Adirondacks Region. If you want the moment to be breathtaking – quite literally – this is the place to make it happen. The Adirondacks is primarily a mountainous region within six million total acres, the largest protected natural area in the continental United States.
- At the top of Whiteface Mountain, near Lake Placid, NY. If you’re not really the “outdoorsy” type, you don’t have to break out the hiking gear. In the summer, drive up the only Adirondack Peak accessible by car for a 360-degree panoramic view as the backdrop for your special moment. Or, enjoy the Cloudsplitter gondola ride up the mountain. In the winter, pitch the proposal, then race them down the hill on skis to base camp for a glass of celebratory wine.
- In Lake Placid itself, site of the 1932 and 1980 Olympics. If you’re a couple that has varied interests, pop the question at a romantic inn, and then your partner can visit the shops and spas along the walkable Main Street while you play on the ice in the same arena where the United States beat Russia in the famous “Miracle on Ice” Olympic hockey game.
Does your princess – or prince – really dig fairytales? The 1000 Islands in the St. Lawrence River of northern New York presents not one, but TWO island castles to really ramp up the romance. In fact, one of them sits on an island named Heart Island, that’s shaped like a heart!
- Like a gallant knight, at Singer Castleon Dark Island. This 4-story, 28-room “hunting lodge” built between 1903 and 1905 welcomes you for all your romantic gestures. Consider coming back to wed in royal style, and lodge like a King and Queen, with the castle and grounds all yours for the night.
- At majestic Boldt Castle on Heart Island, with inspirations of love and romance. Built by hotel magnate George Boldt from 1900 to 1904, legend has it that the 6-story, 100 room castle was a tribute to his beloved wife Louise. She died during construction, so Boldt halted it in his grief. Get down on one knee in the Gazebo, or on a sunset boat cruise past the island (that happened to me!), opening the box to reveal a special engagement ring that shows all your true feelings.
Bringing the love of your life to the Finger Lakes is all about charming them with the water and wine. Mother Nature really did a neat job here, carving out 11 glacial lakes and countless spectacular waterfalls and gorges to set the scenic stage for your proposal. But it was man’s ingenuity that has developed this region into the renowned wine capital of the state, and one of the largest wine producing regions in the United States east of California.
- As you slip a sparkling stunner on their finger during a wine and dine getaway weekend, touring along one of four Finger Lakes wine trails – Cayuga Lake Wine Trail, Seneca Lake Wine Trail, Keuka Lake Wine Trail, and Canandaigua Lake Wine Trail. Afterward, celebrate the occasion with a bottle of locally made wine at a romantic dinner overlooking one of the scenic lakes, and spend the evening at an comfortable B&B or inn.
- If you dare, at the top of The Stampede, a double ferris wheel at the Great New York State Fair in Syracuse, NY. Love isn’t always about the hearts and flowers. Sometimes it’s scaring the pants off your special sweetie several stories off the ground while your friends and family snap pictures from the ground below. Popular national music acts are booked to play during the fair, so you may be able to cap off the exciting day with an amphitheater set by one of your favorite performers.
While Niagara Falls is bordered by New York, USA and Ontario, Canada, we have Canadians to thank for pushing an online campaign making this natural treasure the 8th Wonder of the World. Facebook users overwhelmingly voted Niagara Falls as their favorite, and it might become your favorite honeymoon and anniversary destination after you propose in dramatic fashion near the rushing waters.
- At Cave of the Winds, underneath Bridal Veil Falls. You may want to leave the ring secure in its box though, as you may be surrounded by the storm- like conditions of the thundering falls.
- In a helicopter ride, for a birds-eye view of the falls in all its majestic glory below.
TheHudson Valley is an easy destination to get to if you live in New York City and want to plan a quick getaway for an out-of-town proposal. In 2013 the region was named by National Geographic as one of the Top 20 Must-See Destinations in the World, chiefly for its natural wonders, artistic and creative people and events, and its food.
- High above the Hudson River, on the Walkway Over the Hudson. This is the longest elevated pedestrian bridge in the world, with spectacular views 212 feet above water.
- At Mohonk Mountain Resort, an award-winning National Historic Landmark Resort. This Victorian castle-like structure, built in 1869, sits on high with views of 40,000 acres of pristine forest and awe-inspiring valleys, and features farm-to-table cuisine and on-site spa.
So, you’re all set with some great ideas on New York State destinations where you can whisk your special someone away and ask them to be yours forever. Just don’t forget the ring!