Cairns is a city in Australia’s tropical north that is known for its vibrant nightlife, diverse dining, beautiful people, and great weather. Although it doesn’t have the best beaches in Australia, it has the second-best in the country, and it has a fantastic atmosphere to go with it. Cairns are a haven for travelers. It’s also home to some pretty spectacular natural wonders that will take your breath away.
Here are some of the things you can do in Cairns to get your blood pumping and make your memory jogs a walk in the park:
- Get closer to nature by visiting the Cairns Botanic Gardens. Not only are these gardens beautiful, but they’re also very educational. It’s a great place to visit for a picnic, a walk through the rainforest, or an educational tour.
- Experience the Cairns Eco Walk. The walk, which takes about 3 hours, is a great way to explore the city’s natural environment. The walk passes through the lush rainforests of the Cairns National Park and includes a boat ride through the mangroves. Alternatively, the Great Barrier Reef is accessible from the city by boat. This is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the world and is a large collection of coral reefs that support a wide range of marine life.
- Join the fun at Festivals. Cairns is such a wonderful city, and this year’s warm weather has brought out so many things to do. The Cairns Rhythm and Boogie Festival are at it again this year, and the wonderful free event is a great way to spend the day in the city. There’s also the Sunshine Coast World Music Festival, the Cairns Food and Wine Festival, and the Cairns Marine Festival.
- It’s snorkeling time at the Great Barrier Reef. If you’ve ever seen the Great Barrier Reef, you’ll know it’s one of the most beautiful places in the world. The reef stretches for over 2,000 kilometers across the Coral Sea and is one of the largest natural structures in the world. It’s not surprising, then, that people from all over the world want to see it for themselves. In fact, the Great Barrier Reef is so popular that there are several ways to see it. If you want to snorkel the reef, there are several snorkel sites you can choose from, including the Ribbon Reef, which is a popular snorkel location with a beautiful reef and a wide variety of tropical fish to be seen.
- Have a bird’s eye view through Skyrail. SkyRail is the newest attraction to the Cairns tourism scene, and this year, it’s offering the chance to experience the thrill of speed without the fear of heights. The gondola carries passengers up to 50 meters or 164 feet above the city, and they get a bird’s eye view of the wonderful Cairns skyline: the Great Barrier Reef, the Cairns airport, the Jack Poole Plaza, the Cairns central business district, and the Cairns Botanic Gardens.
- Explore Daintree Rainforest. The Daintree Rainforest is the largest ancient rainforest in the world covers more than 30,000 square kilometers of rainforest, which is about the size of Germany. There is a good reason the Daintree is called the “world’s largest ancient rainforest” – its rich biodiversity puts it on a par with the rainforests found in Central and South America. If you are visiting Australia with your family, you can do several activities like camping in forests. Staying in these dense woodlands might become one of the most memorable moments of your life. Before starting your camping journey, you may want to be prepared for it. For the stay of 3-4 days, you may need a camping van, enough food for the family, a combination of batteries and 12 volt control box to power your electronic devices, and waterproof tents. Once you got your bases covered, you are good to go for a rainforest camping.
- Take a refreshing dip in one of Cairns’ most popular attractions, the Cairns Esplanade lagoon. This lake is only one kilometer long and is perfect for a relaxing swim or a quick cool down. There are plenty of amenities here, too, including free BBQs, a playground, and loads of seating. Cairns Esplanade is a great place to catch up on your reading, have a bite to eat or enjoy a game of cricket, and even has a stage to host buskers and other performers.
- Buy local produce and crafts at Cairns markets. The Cairns Westfield Market is located at the Westfield Cairns Shopping Centre and is home to over 50 retail outlets covering a variety of sectors, including fashion, product, and mobile phones. It is a great opportunity to buy fresh produce and other local food items. The produce market is located just across the carpark from Cairns Esplanade and the main beachfront area.
With plenty of great activities to do in Cairns, you can always find something that will challenge you. No matter how old you are or what your fitness level is, there is something for everyone to enjoy.